2023-12-21

5-2023 How maths saved a blunder

New Year is just round the corner. Some years ago, I wrote about the most famous mathematics blunder created by man. Now, I explain why the blunder is still surviving and celebrated by everyone. Mathematics is at play once again. In spite of the irrational reason for using 360 as a base for dividing a circle, there are some advantages of this choice. The mathematical justification is explained in two videos: Video #1 and Video #2. The choice of 360 is not so bad, since 360 is a "highly composite number" and is easy to remember. Watch the two videos for more elaborate explanations. Highly composite numbers were a favourite of the Indian genius Ramanujan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please inform me by email when you make a comment on my blog. Give me your email ID too.

drpartha AT gmail DOT com