2012-03-02

26/2012 In outer space, which side is north ?

It is amazing how much the w-w-web can distract you and entice you into random directions. I am now getting addicted to some fascinating questions about astronomy. Here is one I picked up at ::

http://astronomy.stackexchange.com/questions/

The question I am refering to is :: Is there such a thing as “North” in outerspace?
QUOTE
On Earth, North is determined by the magnetic poles of our planet. Is there such a thing as "North" in outerspace? To put it another way, is there any other way for astronauts to navigate besides starcharts? For instance, if an astronauts spaceship were to be placed somewhere (outside of our solar system) in the milkyway galaxy, would there be a way for them to orient themselves?
UNQUOTE

There is still so much to discover and learn. There is so little time left.

partha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please inform me by email when you make a comment on my blog. Give me your email ID too.

drpartha AT gmail DOT com